Saturday, December 6, 2014

RAMBLINGS OF A SHOOTING BUM - PART IV

RAMBLINGS OF A SHOOTING BUM
December 2 2014 " HERDING CATS"

Hi friends, deer hunting season is over and for a lot of us it's now a mad rush to finish as many of the little winterizing jobs as possible before the onset of winter proper. While I did not do any hunting this year I still have many unfinished outside jobs on the go and the short amount of daylight remaining when I get home from work has made me thankful that, God willing, I'll get another chance to do them in the daylight next year. As I've progressed in my life I am fortunate that each year I learn a bit that helps me to do a better job in the next.


One area that in my 52 years I have yet to master is the art of "herding cats". I don't know where the term originated, but well respected and highly experienced Canadian Target Rifle Shooter, Serge Bissonnette, has used the term to describe trying to get shooters on the same page and working toward a common goal. I have to say this is a much better description than the one I sometimes use - ( stubborn, independent, self sufficient ,##%£~<>%). Yes, shooters and cats do share many similar qualities.

Now that I realize the similarities I look at cats differently. There are obviously many types of cats and most are very successful but most are not very social. The fact that cats are not generally well developed social animals makes them difficult to domesticate and they often don't get along well together.

Lions are one example of socially well developed cats. Remembering that they are still cats, I marvel at how well they work together as a team and it sure looks like they can often enjoy each others company in leisure time. (I like to watch nature shows and my only knowledge of Lions comes from TV). For everyone that hasn't figured out the point I'm trying to make - here it is: 

IF YOU'RE DESTINED TO BE A CAT YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE A LION. 

As the President of the RNBRA, I often have the opportunity to try and "herd the cats" in our provincial shooting community. I am fortunate to be in the company of a Board of Directors committed to growing shooting sports in our province. This past weekend I attended meetings of the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association as an executive committee member and, I am proud to say, that was an opportunity to work with Lions who all work many hours each year to promote the sport at the National and International level.

Us cats must work together in order to protect and promote shooting sports so let's be Lions.

Michael Lutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment